Barley and spelt salad: a healthy and tasty recipe
Barley and spelt salad: a healthy and tasty recipe.
- 150 gr Barley
- 150 gr Spelt
- 100 gr Shelled broad beans
- 100 gr Asparagus tips
- to taste Il Casolare Farchioni Extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the spelt and barley in unsalted boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the asparagus and clean the beans.
- Put the tips of asparagus and the broad beans in a bowl, then add extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Stir the boiled spelt and barley in with the vegetables.
- Add more salt or oil to taste.
1) Barley and spelt salad: choose wisely your ingredients.Both spelt and barley are available on the market in two versions:
- Hulled: the whole grain version, which requires soaking for 12 hours and at least 1- hour cooking.
- Pearled: the more refined version, where the external coating is removed. There is no need for soaking and it cooks in about 20 minutes.
- Spelt usually does not need to be washed before use (however, always read the instructions you find on the package).
- Barley, on the other hand, always needs to be washed, to prevent it from taking on an unpleasant gelatinous texture.
2) Broad beans: choose fresh ones.From March to July we recommend that you buy fresh broad beans which will give an extra touch of flavor to your spelt and barley salad.
- Before buying the fresh beans, make sure that the pod is shiny and firm (if you press it should break with a snap).
- To remove the beans from the pod, break it in two and slide your thumb downwards.
- Remove the small growth that looks like a sprout and the thin skin that covers the beans.
- At this point, the beans will be ready for use.
3) Asparagus: eat it raw.Another fundamental ingredient of our farro and barley soup with vegetables is asparagus: if you can, buy wild asparagus, which is normally more tender and tastier. Otherwise, regular garden asparagus will do just fine.
Before buying your asparagus, pay attention to these small details:
- The tip should be firm and straight.
- The scale-like leaflets on the top must be tight together.
- The spears must be firm, unblemished and have a nice round shape.
- When bent, the stem should not flex easily, but it should snap.