Risotto with Spumante: a simple and effective recipe
Risotto with Spumante: a simple and successful recipe
- 320 gr Carnaroli rice
- 150 gr extra virgin olive oil Il Casolare Farchioni
- 50 gr Basil leaves dried thoroughly
- 400 ml Spumante Blanchus Terre de la Custodia
- 1 liter Vegetable broth
- 150 gr Parmigiano Reggiano Grated
- to taste Salt
- Blend the basil leaves and the Il Casolare Farchioni extra virgin olive oil to obtain a creamy mix.
- Toast the rice for about 3 minutes on medium heat, then simmer with Blanchus.
- Let the wine reduce, then start the actual cooking: add salt and gradually add ladles of piping hot vegetable broth without ever submerging the rice,
- Once done, turn the heat off and add Parmigiano, stirring until creamy
- Stir in the basil and oil mix.
- Arrange on a plate and serve immediately.
1) Rice: select the best oneThe rice all chefs use for their risotto is called Carnaroli:
- Its kernels are larger and more compact than average; they will always be firm to the bite.
- It is apt to absorb stock, sauces and condiments and to preserve their flavor.
- Its very mild taste pairs well with the tang of sparkling wine.
- Thanks to its high starch content the risotto will be extremely creamy when done.
2) Vegetable stock: cook it at homeRisotto with Spumante requires vegetable stock, which will enhance its taste without overpowering it. Homemade stock is far better than the one in cubes and is very easy to make.
You will need 2 carrots, 1 onion and 2 sticks of celery:
- Wash them and cut them into largish pieces
- Place them in a saucepan, cover with about 3 liters of cold water and let everything simmer for about 1 hour and a half.
- At the end of this period you will just need to strain the stock.